Waves and DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
slicerecords
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Waves and DP

Post by slicerecords »

Hi All,

I thought I would share my experiences as they might help others here.

I'm making a slow transisition from Pro Tools to DP and finally started mixing in DP (which I love). I'm not going to get into why I switched other than I feel DP has much more creative energy to give than PT.

Soooooo....

After I initiated several waves plug-ins from the Plat bundle, I started getting full audio dropouts---not just one track but everything. DP would not play through my interface (002) until I reset the playback engine Bufffer size. Then I started getting pops and clicks - loud ones - and then of course all at the same time.

Then.....after setting up several delays and verbs on aux tracks then bussing to them any track with a waves plug-in would scream white noise at 0dbFS---and that's not pleasant--especially 20 or so tracks summing.

After the pain -- literally -- I ran a few tests to make sure it was Waves plugins at any buffer size. Then I called waves. Their answer was this:

"Waves 5 is not compatibile with DP 5.1 or 5.01"

My response:

"Why isn't that stated on your website?"

Waves answer:

"Because Waves 5 is compatibile with DP 5.0"

My response

"So? A .1 doesn't mean anything to you guys"

Waves answer:

"We are working on an update"

My response;

"How long will that take"

Waves answer

"I don't know"

My answer

"Will it be a point update or V6?

Waves answer

"V6"

From there on I finally got it out of him that V6 will be out---get this---within the year.

Meantime I have mixes due to day for a client that are screaming white noise at me. I don't know about anybody else but I enjoy Waves plug-ins--I think they are well built--sound good--and have versatility---BUT---this is completely uncalled for--I know they can fix it because it only happens with plug-ins version 5.0, 5.01, 5.03. By the way, I tried it with DP 5.0--same deal--no difference. This is on a clean install too. It does not seem to happen with plugins V5.2.

I hope this helps others.

I was trapped by DIGI and now I'm trapped by Waves.

This industry needs a swift kick in the ass along with a heavy dose of honest and integrity.

Peace,
Dan
slicerecords

Post by slicerecords »

by the way this is on a system as follows:

PowerMac G5 dual 2.5ghz
1.5GB RAM
Waves 5.2.1, 5.03, 5.01
DP 5.1
Digi 002
giles117
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by giles117 »

Well my results arent your results. WAVES WORKS!!!!! Under DP 5.1

My SSL Bundle and Ren Max Bundle idles nicely. Higher plugin Counts blah blah blah... And this junk runs on my Lowly Dual G5, not just my MacBook (INTEL)
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sounded like a Monty Python sketch. Especially in light of the fact that all the Waves plugins I've tried in DP 5.1 so far have worked fine. Maybe there are some specific ones that don't work. I don't know about that. But the ones I use work fine so far.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Shooshie wrote:Sounded like a Monty Python sketch. Especially in light of the fact that all the Waves plugins I've tried in DP 5.1 so far have worked fine. Maybe there are some specific ones that don't work. I don't know about that. But the ones I use work fine so far.

Shooshie
That makes 3 people on this forum that have had success with waves and 5.1
DP 6.02
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

giles117 wrote:That makes 3 people on this forum that have had success with waves and 5.1
Make it four.

One thing, though...

I've experienced a loud, static/white noise type of sound when hitting "Command-Backslash" during playback. This doesn't always happen. I use "Command-Backslash" a lot and if I have a WAVES plugin window open while using that command, it can explode into static until I stop playback or hit the command again. Try it a few times and see if you can reproduce it. This is not exactly a showstopper. At least everything else works perfectly with my WAVES stuff (RenMaxx, IR-1, Tune lite, etc.).

So...the WAVES stuff works just fine over here.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Will have to try cmd - | and see what I get.
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

slicerecords

Post by slicerecords »

Problem solved.....at least I think so far.....what a day of hell.

I generally use "Link Memory to Selection" and "Link Playback to Memory" to emulate a PT's style selection transport. I turned both off, to the default DP setting, and all is fine so far. It must have something the way DP primes playback for pre-rendering that pisses off the waves plugs. So far I only have had one audio engine dropout where I had to restart my playback engine (this could have something to do with Digi's Core audio driver) as I have had issues in the past.

Still I have been told twice by waves that V5 is not compatibile with DP5.1 or 5.01 -- only 5.0

But as of now, I'm up and running without white noise screaming at me.

Back to mixing.

Thanks peeps.

peace,
d
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

giles117 wrote:Will have to try cmd - | and see what I get.
Actually, try "Command - \."
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I just e-mailed Waxman and he said he has no problems with Waves and DP 5.1.

Anyone who is having problems - please check to make sure which Waveshells you are using. If you are having problems with MAS Waves, then try removing your MAS Waveshells from the Startup Disk/ Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS folder, and use the AU Waveshells that should be in the
StartupDisk/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components folder. Also make sure you have the AU Waveshells authorized - you should have the AU authorizers in your Waves folder.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

giles117 wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Sounded like a Monty Python sketch. Especially in light of the fact that all the Waves plugins I've tried in DP 5.1 so far have worked fine. Maybe there are some specific ones that don't work. I don't know about that. But the ones I use work fine so far.

Shooshie
That makes 3 people on this forum that have had success with waves and 5.1
Well, I neglected to realize that we're talking about two different computers. My Waves plugs work fine on my old G4. I don't have an IntelMac yet. But for what it's worth, they DO work fine with DP 5.1 on a Dual 1GHz G4. (gosh, that sounds so ancient now)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
slicerecords

Post by slicerecords »

Who is using MAS Waveshells?

Who is using AU Waveshells?

I would like to hear which people are experiencing problems and which arent.

According to Waves though only MAS should be used with DP...
slicerecords

Post by slicerecords »

Also, at least on my system, both AU and MAS will load -- into duplicates of each plug. The MAS doesn't cancel out the AU. Only one or the other, in the respective folder.

Also, who also has PT 7 installed? This is of importance because of PT7 compatibility updates, that change certain plugs.

Thanks a bunch...you guys are great

peace
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I've decided that, going forward, I am ditching WAVES completely as a company. There are plenty of other great plug-ins out there from manufacturers that actually give a sh!t about their customers. I refuse to pay for the update program. I'd rather take my money elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, they make great plug-ins and have to be the most ripped off company out there as far as piracy is concerned. But not supporting iLok.com insurance??? C'mon.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

It's more likely that an AU version would work better than MAS in 5.1 as they have changed all of the MAS plugs.

I know MAS ATune broke in 5.1 and I had to put in the UA to fix it.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2