i have MachFive. is MSI more than a samle library?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

walway
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

i have MachFive. is MSI more than a samle library?

Post by walway »

is it better to use the MSI interface if i have MachFive?

if not, than MSI is only a sample library for me and the sounds don't seem to be worth that kind of money on thier own. i haven't actually used any recent string libraries, so maybe this is the best, but the demos sound good for others and i'm wondering if picking up MSI was a good move.

can someone make me feel better about it?
tony
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

well, the convolution reverbs and keyswitching are great

Stephen
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Keyswitching - for instance

I am only using a 49 key controller here, but I have set up 8 or more pads on my Akai MPD16 pad controller from C-2 upwards to select different string and wind articulations, so it is easy to play and hit the pads without having to change octaves on the keyboard.

I am liking the sample set in MSI, the early instruments and harps and organs are really nice.

I feel good about it, and I also like that I can use the sound set in M5 for different processing.

Stephen
papageno

Re: i have MachFive. is MSI more than a samle library?

Post by papageno »

walway wrote:is it better to use the MSI interface if i have MachFive?
No.
+372 56222285
alexff

Post by alexff »

Well, both the MSI and M5 use the UVI sound engine, so I would assume the filters etc are along the same lines...

The killer ap is the MSI 'verb. If I don't need the verb, I'll simply load the sounds in M5.

I would say it's more than a sample library. The sound are, for want of a better word, playable. So many sample libraries make little sense when played on a keyboard - MSI sounds good when used like this. Also, the different velocity layers etc make the difference.

Also, MSI has the most extensive collection of shaker samples I've ever heard - I use these all over R&B beats...the brass gets used in soul stuff...you get the picture.
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm on a rush project at the moment to render all of my MIDI backing tracks to audio, having finally given up on on-stage live MIDI.

Since this is for pop/dance music and not classical music or soundtrack composing, it was quite a surprise to me to learn how applicable the percussion in MSI is for that purpose. Amazing difference!

I had considered buying Mach Five earlier, but once MSI came out (and with EthnoInstrument on its way), I feel less of a need. So it is interesting to read what people say about the specific sample sets of MSI both in its native environment and when used in Mach Five.

I have unfortunately had to back down on my use of the built-in reverb, as my computer (384 Mb, 800 MHz) is not up to the task. They are quite good though, and I do wish that I could use them.
magicd

Post by magicd »

The Symphonic Instrument has a convolution reverb. Mach Five does not. The Symphonic Instrument can load up to 64 instruments and can be addressed by up to 64 MIDI channels. Mach Five currently supports up to 16 instruments and MIDI channels.

If you run the Symphonic Instrument library in Mach Five, you have access to all the internal effects of Mach Five. You can also build Expert Mode performances that include not only MSI sounds, but also instruments from other libraries.

Magic Dave