UVI Workstation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UVI Workstation

Post by James Steele »

WELL, DAMN!!!!

Thanks, Michael, for sharing this. Well this is some pretty good information to have that somehow I guess I missed. Seems like MOTU should have shared this a bit more widely! Don't know how I missed it.

Anyway, just now I downloaded JBass.ufs (since it was small) from the links at the bottom of the page at the link Michael provided: https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=274

And darned if it didn't just open up in latest Falcon inside of DP running natively!!! My old JBass.ufs threw the missing license error! Also tested it with newest UVI Workstation... works fine!

Also, just by accident I loaded the new MSI.ufs from MOTU's site here: https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=130

... and THAT opened up for me and I didn't receive any sort of iLok license from MOTU yet. I do have an old MOTU Symphonic Instruments license from 2005 on my iLok. I suppose I could remove it to see if that's what's allowing it to work right now, but if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

I'm going to download these updated .UFS volumes and test one by one, and as a verify they work I'll replace the ones on my sample library drive with these new ones. I still think Ethno will need the workaround as MOTU hasn't provided an updated UFS volume for that, so I'll keep the old UVI Workstation 3.0.25 around for accessing Ethno stuff.

Again... I feel silly not knowing it, but you think that this info might have been broadcast a bit more than mentioned as an aside during a webinar??! I definitely missed it and I may need to go back and update my posts about the workaround... that it may only be necessary for Ethno, BPM, and any other straggler libraries that MOTU didn't (silently?) udpate.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Looks like I owe Mike a beer as well. I’ll be downloading the .ufs files for Native Falcon.

Thank you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... okay... so I just downloaded all of the following from this link and they all seem to open just fine in latest Apple Silicon native UVI Workstation and Falcon:

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=274

• Biosphere.ufs - (formerly MachFive Biosphere. If you have projects with any instances of Falcon or UVIWS that depended on the name of this volume being the same, I did try changing it in the Finder with no ill effects)

• F Grand 278.ufs

• JBass.ufs

• Mark79.ufs - (one interesting note: file size of old version was 3.43GB. This one is 7.44GB. I do not know why. Seems to sound the same.)

• Percussiv.ufs

• StarDrums.ufs

• Telematic.ufs - (I actually never installed this previously, but downloaded it and it works fine)

• The Upright.ufs

• Universal Loops and Instruments.ufs - (Note that this is also same as MOTU Instruments.ufs AFAICT)

Also, if you previously owned MOTU Symphonic Instrument, as mentioned before you can download the new MSI.ufs here: https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=130 MOTU says to write to customer support for a new iLok license, but for whatever reason, perhaps because I had an old Symphonic Instrument iLok license, it worked. Don't know. (UPDATE: Doh! MOTU wrote me back. I already had a license for “Symphonic Instrument Sounds” from 2013 on my iLok! If you don't have that one, write to MOTU and if you owned Symphonic Instrument in the past, they'll send you one.)

I also come across a UFS volume called DTLF.ufs, that is a drumkit. Don't know how or where I got a hold of it. The file is from 2011. This is what it looks like, below. For that one I have to open it in UVI Workstation 3.0.25 along with Ethno. Since it appears you can rename these .UFS files in the Finder with no ill effects, I may rename all the .UFS volumes that require Rosetta so I can avoid mistakenly trying to open them in Falcon or the latest UVI Workstation. Perhaps add a "•" at the beginning of the name or one could append " (Rosetta)" to the filename. Whatever works.

DTLF.ufs.png
DTLF.ufs.png (514.85 KiB) Viewed 7048 times

Looks like MOTU also posted updated UFS volumes for Electric Keys, which I owned, so I'm going to start in on testing and replacing those: https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=225

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... so I just got finished downloading and replacing all my MOTU Electric Keys instrument .ufs volumes:

• Classic Electric Organs.ufs
• Classic Electric Pianos.ufs*
• Electro-Mechanical Keyboards.ufs
• Funky Clavs.ufs
• Japanese CPianos.ufs
• Keyboard Bass.ufs
• Rare & Bonus Keyboards.ufs**
• Reed Electric Pianos.ufs
• String Machines.ufs
• Tape Sampler.ufs
• The B - Electric Organ.ufs

They all work just fine in Falcon or latest UVI Workstation running AS-native.

A couple notes about the above:

* Classic Electric Pianos: used to be two files. Classic Electric Pianos.ufs (8.54GB) and Classic Electric Pianos.ufs1 (2.86GB). It's now just one file, Classic Electric Pianos.ufs that is 11.35GB in size. Consolidation is a good thing. :dance:

** Rare & Bonus Keyboards.ufs: One quirk... even though MOTU's link reads "Rare & Bonus Keyboards.ufs" after downloading the file is named "Bonus & Rare Keyboards.ufs." I just renamed it in the Finder after downloaded for consistency. YMMV

So all in all, this was a good day! I just have a few straggler MOTU libraries like Ethno.ufs and that DTLF.ufs drum kit... probably some others, but happy to be able to open these in Falcon without a workaround. Now to let Time Machine do its thing with these updated images. :)

60s Pop Man

Post by 60s Pop Man »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:12 pm I did see also that MOTU has a page on their site for Symphonic Instrument where you can download the UFS volume to use it in Falcon or UVI Workstation.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=130

They will send you a new iLok license for that. I wrote customer service and requested it. I do have an "MSI.ufs" already, but it's from 2012, so I think that's old. I downloaded the newer one and waiting on MOTU to get back to me with a new iLok license. It remains to be seen if that will open with Falcon or UVI Workstation running in Apple Silicon native mode.
I also have a license in iLok from 2012 and it works with MSI.ufs (dated Dec 12, 2022 on the MOTU website) in Falcon 2.8.6 arm and UVI Workstation 3.1.12 arm plug-ins in DP11.22.
Last edited by 60s Pop Man on Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini 1TB/16GB, macOS 13.4.1, DP11.22, audiofront MIDI Expression iO, MOTU M2&M4, UAD Apollo
60s Pop Man

Post by 60s Pop Man »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:15 pm So all in all, this was a good day!
I have been following this thread and had success accessing M5 libraries in the older version of UVI Workstation, and now, with Falcon 2.8.6 arm and UVI Workstation 3.1.12 arm plug-ins in DP11.22 with the most current M5 downloads from MOTU.

Many thanks to you and Michael C. for sharing this information.

Just finished testing Percussiv and the Universal Loop & Instruments. All good. Will now download latest versions of the remaining M5 instruments.
:headbang:
M1 Mac mini 1TB/16GB, macOS 13.4.1, DP11.22, audiofront MIDI Expression iO, MOTU M2&M4, UAD Apollo
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

60s Pop Man wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:03 pm
James Steele wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:15 pm So all in all, this was a good day!
I have been following this thread and had success accessing M5 libraries in the older version of UVI Workstation, and now, with Falcon 2.8.6 arm and UVI Workstation 3.1.12 arm plug-ins in DP11.22 with the most current M5 downloads from MOTU.

Many thanks to you and Michael C. for sharing this information.

Just finished testing Percussiv and the Universal Loop & Instruments. All good. Will now download latest versions of the remaining M5 instruments.
:headbang:
Glad to hear it. Yes, this is a relief. I may just keep UVI Workstation 3.0.25 around for Ethno.ufs and some stragglers, but glad not to have to use it otherwise.

Next step for me might be to see if I can't set up some Komplete Kontrol presets with Falcon now that the MOTU libraries should load fine.

60s Pop Man

UVI Workstation

Post by 60s Pop Man »

MSI.ufs (Dec 12, 2022) with a 2012 license in iLok, arm version of Falcon, DP11.12

arm version of UVI Workstation
Mark 79 (screengrab of the latest version available from MOTU)

The Upright (screengrab of the latest version available from MOTU)

I'm really pleased to be able use MF3/MOTU instruments on my M1 Mac.
Last edited by 60s Pop Man on Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I removed the links. If it’s MOTU software then let people download directly from MOTU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

60s Pop Man

Post by 60s Pop Man »

I understand your concern.
The previous links were private-not visible to the public, showing screengrabs and not software. I can see how not seeing an image and reading the text might lead to a different understanding.

Apologies for the confusion, I was having an issue getting the proper links to appear. You should now see what was intended with the previous links.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

My apologies. I couldn’t tell at first. You can imbed graphics in post just in case you didn’t see that feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

60s Pop Man

Post by 60s Pop Man »

I need to work through the insert image process.
Most likely user error, but it doesn't seem to work with images in Dropbox or Google Drive.
Maybe Flicker or similar?

Thanks again!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:58 am Yep... okay... so I just downloaded all of the following from this link and they all seem to open just fine in latest Apple Silicon native UVI Workstation and Falcon:

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=274

• Biosphere.ufs - (formerly MachFive Biosphere. If you have projects with any instances of Falcon or UVIWS that depended on the name of this volume being the same, I did try changing it in the Finder with no ill effects)

• F Grand 278.ufs

• JBass.ufs

• Mark79.ufs - (one interesting note: file size of old version was 3.43GB. This one is 7.44GB. I do not know why. Seems to sound the same.)

• Percussiv.ufs

• StarDrums.ufs

• Telematic.ufs - (I actually never installed this previously, but downloaded it and it works fine)

• The Upright.ufs

• Universal Loops and Instruments.ufs - (Note that this is also same as MOTU Instruments.ufs AFAICT)
OK—I downloaded these files as well. They open fine in the Falcon standalone app, but they DO require that I have my old-format iLok (thanks again, James) with my MF3 license plugged into my machine to access the patches.

Thus, these are not "free" instruments for people who did not purchase MachFive 3, but just updated MF3 instrument files that appear to be compatible with Falcon and UVI Workstation. (BTW: I am in an Intel Mac running Monterey.)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahhh that’s interesting… so you have to have a MachFive3 license on your iLok to open those images? Interesting. I almost removed that license. Glad I didn’t! I bet MOTU could probably help you out with another license so you don’t have to move your older ilok around. I have a Gen 2.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Holy Cow!!! I didn't see it but there IS an updated Ethno2 .UFS file available for download at MOTU's site:

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=256

Link is at bottom of page. I missed this. I think this might be the only MOTU instrument I was having to use the old version of UVI Workstation to open!! Yessssss!!! :woohoo: (It's a big download: 20.4GB!)