Migrating to doze with dual boot box w/ some resources

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Migrating to doze with dual boot box w/ some resources

Post by pencilina »

CharlzS wrote: Not sure when this arrived or what the implications are, but you can also change the graphics processor that DP uses in the Graphics preference.
Ok, I'm a glutton for solving technical punishment......

Charlzs, this might be the key, where is this Graphics preference? In DP??

Terry, I think you might have provided the key to getting waves to work on my sys. I enabled just CLA 76 and its waveshell, restarted DP, and it seems to be fine. I'm going to see if I can narrow down the issue.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

In Windows Settings type Graphics in the find a setting search box at the top of the window. I think selecting the graphics processor was available from the 1909 release. Definitely available in the May update (2004). Were you able to get alt-spacebar working by toggling Audible?
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

UPDATE: NOW GOOD!

YO! S*&T! Both you guys just totally straightened me out.

So.... Enabling and disabling waves plugins made me realize that I had a combination of v10 and v11 waveshells active which is weird because I Wupped and waves central was reporting v11 for all installed plugs. Waves central has an "organize versions" option in its settings which I ran. After this I noticed I only had V11 waveshells left as DAW options. I ran DP and knob behavior was better but still laggy. Then, I found the win10 system pref, MY MAN, Charlzs mentioned via this page:

https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

I changed the DPs GPU to high performance (ATI RX580) from "system default" and waves knobs were the same (laggy but better then before the waveshell enema). Then I switched it to "the low power" GPU which on my system is the built in intel and BAM! waves knob moves faster then the eye can see.

As far as the playback (win+space) I had the same problem regardless of the audible toggle. I think the issue was there was a redundant key assignment in win DP10 by default or maybe when I imported my key commands from osx- win+space was assigned to both "set memory and play selection" as well as "audition selection". I think I was looking for the wrong shortcut when I was troubleshooting the assignment- revealed when I tried to assign alt+space as Charlzs suggested, "audition selection" was what I needed. Regardless, win+space is now working as it should.

THANKS AGAIN CHARLZS AND TERRYB.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Good to hear things are working out. Waves has become totally convoluted :D . We now have ten or so WaveShells associated with V11 plugs plus whatever V10 shells if you have multiple versions. I understand that they have a lot of plugs, but they need to tighten it up some IMHO. Still a fan.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Convoluted is the correct description. If you have multiple versions of Waves (at least on a Mac), you have to follow a specific sequence of removal and re-installation steps every time you add or update a plugin. Otherwise, every time you change something, everything you don't change is disabled. If you get to the right person their tech support, they will lay it all out for you. I have a mix of V9 and V10 and while it was a PITA, and I ended up with a multitude of wrappers, it all works perfectly in DP, Logic, DSP-Q and Mixbus.

I suppose Waves has decided they are only interested in customers who buy large bundles and WUP them. Their wrapper architecture made sense 20 years ago when we had 4G drives, but it's pointless now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I can see why many people hate Waves so passionately. It seems mean and spiteful that after all these years in the digital audio business w/motu, starting with DAE plugs for DP on DSP cards, they can't go the extra mile and give DP users support on Windows after they support almost ever other major DAW. There has to be some backstory with the two companies or maybe DP in windows doesn't have enough of a user base (yet :D ) to make it worth it for Waves. On my mac I had V9, V10 and V11 plugins I installed years apart working without issue. Luckily there are wonderful virtual support communities like this and tonymacx86.
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

WOW! very good info here! thanks all for this, and penicilina's detailed links and references.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

alex2035 wrote:WOW! very good info here! thanks all for this, and penicilina's detailed links and references.
You're welcome! When someone learns something from my hurdle navigation it makes it all the more worthwhile. I've learned so much from this forum over the years I'm happy to contribute.

I'm really glad I took the plunge. Its SOOOO nice working on such a powerful flexible system. This thing just buries my old 12 core 5,1- which I was able to sell for not too bad a price. It was totally worth the hassle and I learned a LOT. I thoroughly encourage anyone who's considering the same path to just go for it and to please share what you learn.

I'm adding a couple cool utilities I found for dealing with some of my SD2 files that got messed up. :headbang:
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Oh well, more updates in your post, good resources, thanks again!

Me, I wish I could find a way to install DP10.11 demo in doze, it stalls all times at the beginning with a "ms visual runtime error..." , asking me to install runtime 2015-2019 which I already have. I had a similar problem in 2018 installing my new MOTU Ultralite AVB interface, abandoned by MOTU tech support I had to throw myself into brainstorming the problem until I found one of a dozen runtimes that made the thing work.
I have Performer Lite 10.12 and it did go smoothly but it is somewhat short compared to big brother DP.

alex
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

alex2035 wrote:Me, I wish I could find a way to install DP10.11 demo in doze, it stalls all times at the beginning with a "ms visual runtime error..." , asking me to install runtime 2015-2019 which I already have.
You should have both the 32 and 64 bit runtime libs installed. They are repairable in Programs and Features via Change (right-click, select Change and then Repair) if you haven't tried that yet. Requires a restart.
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

alex2035 wrote:You should have both the 32 and 64 bit runtime libs installed. They are repairable in Programs and Features via Change (right-click, select Change and then Repair) if you haven't tried that yet. Requires a restart.
Yes, that could be the thing, I only have 64bit 2015-2019 runtime, time for another attempt. Thank you so much.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Alex,
I noticed on another thread you mentioned you're also running a dual boot system. I'm curious. Can you describe your build and how your experience running DP on it has been? Is there anything you'd like to share that might make the transition easier for someone that I haven't mentioned?
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

I did the hackintosh about 3 years ago and it has been working good so far, went the Niresh route, I wasn't aware of the vanilla method at the time, I would have done that one for the easy upgrade path. I went with Mavericks 10.9.5, I have 2 SSDs with mirrored MacOS installs, another SSD with Windows 10 and Linux Arch on a 4th.
The machine is modest by today's standard, Gigabyte GA-Z87 MB, Intel i5 , 16 ram.

I got a copy of Performer Lite when I bought the MOTU UltraLite AVB, it doesn't run on Mavericks but it does on Windows where it runs quite fine. DP10 would not run on Mavericks either, so I have the demo on Windows which also runs fine, both of them have some fonts blurry , and as I approach my 70's its getting more and more difficult for my sore eyes.

This is actually my machine for daily work now, due to lock-down we are doing production this way, the studios are closed. I have the idea of doing a High Sierra upgrade on one of the disks, but I will hold after the lock-down fades away, hopefully.
Last edited by alex2035 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Sounds like a good build if you've gotten 3 years out of it. I looked up Niresh as I'd never hear of it... seems MIA. I'd get open core working but will only do that if it somehow makes sense to do a major mac version upgrade- which I can hopefully avoid _forever_. How are you mirroring your OSX SSDs with carbon copy cloner? The windows font issue is a bad joke. I've been working mostly in OSX finishing up a few projects. I'm not looking forward to how fugly DP is in W10 but will force myself to get used to it as it will be way better then getting forced in Apple's arm transition if I want to keep up with the evolution of some of my tools.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

pencilina wrote: The windows font issue is a bad joke. I've been working mostly in OSX finishing up a few projects. I'm not looking forward to how fugly DP is in W10 but will force myself to get used to it as it will be way better then getting forced in Apple's arm transition if I want to keep up with the evolution of some of my tools.
Fugly is pretty strong. It's not that bad. A little fuzzy text here and there on large monitors. Editing, precision, etc. is not an issue. Don't want to scare some folks away.