guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
donreynolds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: guitar amp simulator software for use with DP

Post by donreynolds »

:D :D :D
I figured you'd be the first reply James. I'm Just saying..They sound good...Also!
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

The best Metal tones in a plugin (IMO!!!) are coming from Revalver MkIII. Sounds Huge and blows away Guitar Rig and POD for metal stuff (I love guitar rig for rock, jazz, blues though)

http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/index.cfm

http://www.alienconnections.com/

Only thing better that Revalver in simulations is by beloved Axe Fx which is like a solar system at this point. But it's hardware http://www.fractalaudio.com/
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

I LOVE Metal Amp Room by Softube. Not cheap, but blows everything else I tried out of the water. For quick presets I do like the current version of NI Guitar Rig. But in the end, Softube still sounds *way* more like a real amp to me.

They have a 14 day or so iLok demo. Try it. :D
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Best to try and demo these products before deciding. To each their own..
it's what sounds best to your own ears. I tried the demo for ReValver but
it was just terribly buggy, I didn't find it user-friendly or
intuitive at all. Plus, I have a disdain for Peavey products in
general, I've always thought all of their amps sound crap, again that's
my personal reaction to their sound. I kinda wish I hadn't spent
the money on Metal Amp Room, but it's not the first product I've
bought that I regretted purchasing.

I find that guitarists either love plug-in amp simulators or they
hate them. Not too many guitarists have a neutral position on
emulators.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

David Polich wrote:Best to try and demo these products before deciding. To each their own..
it's what sounds best to your own ears. I tried the demo for ReValver but
it was just terribly buggy, I didn't find it user-friendly or
intuitive at all. Plus, I have a disdain for Peavey products in
general, I've always thought all of their amps sound crap, again that's
my personal reaction to their sound. I kinda wish I hadn't spent
the money on Metal Amp Room, but it's not the first product I've
bought that I regretted purchasing.
That's disappointing to hear (bugginess). There is a lot more to the program that the Peavy emulations though. I haven't used it in months because I have the Axe Fx.

It's actually not a Peavy product originally, they bought the company that developed the original versions.

It's not terribly intuitive, but it's deep and if you spend some time tweaking the models you are rewarded with a modern metal tone that I can't seem to get from Guitar Rig.

David Polich wrote: I find that guitarists either love plug-in amp simulators or they
hate them. Not too many guitarists have a neutral position on
emulators.
I'm pretty Neutral... You can generally get a good, usable tone out of anything if you don't go into it looking to recreate/extract a certain sound. So in that light almost all modelers and amps are worthy. If you are trying to nail a certain tone then it's like anything with gear... you have to put the time in and you need to get picky.

Unfortunately, modelers have a stigma attached to them. As far as I'm concerned the only thing they do to your playing that is uncorrectable is invoke latency. That's what wore me out on the POD the most... the pick attack delay.

I have to demo Metal Amp Room. I wasn't impressed by the clips on their site so I didn't bother.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I was surprised by Revalver as I too have an extreme prejudice against that company based on quite a few prior experiences. I thought it was too consistently aggressive in its sound to be generally applicable, but kept it on my long list in case I ever need a tone that I can't get from AmpliTube (or the new GR4, which I won't be able to try until a new Mac).

SofTube is allowing people to try their plug-ins again, if you send them an email. So even if you tried their stuff before, you can have another go at it.

I have ultimately decided against all of their products. It's good stuff, but each of their plugs is so narrow in applicability, and I just can't justify the cost. It's not even on my long list anymore as a result. But I was impressed with a more three-dimensional sound stage with some of their plugs. Some of this might now be possible with DP7's new plugs.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
tonester

Post by tonester »

eriknorlander wrote:You may guffaw all you like, but I am a fan of the Line 6 Pod Farm. I love the super ultra high gain Mesa Rectifier type stuff, and they do it really well. IK Amplitube 2 is also good. I use both. I haven't installed DP7 yet, so I can't speak to the new built-in processors. But the above mentioned plug-ins compare WELL to the real deal, IMHO.

Cheers,
Erik
+1 for Amplitube 2. Haven't checked out Pod Farm, but will.Does it come in AU, or do I need a VST wrapper?

Not to hijack this thread, but great to see you on the forums,Erik. Big fan of Rocket Scientists here.

Cheers,

Tony
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

I'm a fan of GTR4 and it works perfectly with DP 6.02 (don't know about 7). We like to play with GTR4 going through real rigs and recording that, creating a hybrid of the two. Started doing that with GTR2. The tones you can get are spectacular. But GTR4 by itself is quite amazing, too.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
dustcoversmyheels

Post by dustcoversmyheels »

KEVORKIAN wrote:The best Metal tones in a plugin (IMO!!!) are coming from Revalver MkIII. Sounds Huge and blows away Guitar Rig and POD for metal stuff
I downloaded the demo of revalver and i'm loving it!! i like how the JSX sounds. It takes a few minutes to tweak, but i'm very impressed with it!

The full version of Revalver is $300...and the ReValver HP is only $100. Do you know how they compare? I pretty much only want the JSX/6505 type of sound for recording rough guitar ideas.
macbook 2.2GHz with 1 GB RAM running osx 10.5.8, mac pro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 gigs of ram running osx 10.4.11, DP 7.01, Motu 896 (1st generation), API A2D, Isochrone OCX, UAD
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

dustcoversmyheels wrote:
KEVORKIAN wrote:The best Metal tones in a plugin (IMO!!!) are coming from Revalver MkIII. Sounds Huge and blows away Guitar Rig and POD for metal stuff
I downloaded the demo of revalver and i'm loving it!! i like how the JSX sounds. It takes a few minutes to tweak, but i'm very impressed with it!

The full version of Revalver is $300...and the ReValver HP is only $100. Do you know how they compare? I pretty much only want the JSX/6505 type of sound for recording rough guitar ideas.
Glad you're digging it... I actually don't know the differences between the full and the HP version unfortunately. If the site doesn't say, then try dropping the alien connections guy or peavey an email. They both were responsive to some questions I had a while ago.

That 6505 model and the JSX are both great and you can even tweak the tube bias and a ton of other parameters, under the hood. Also, check out Redwirez for additional cab impulses.
willheim

Post by willheim »

THIS IS only marginally OT - it is my impression that the plug-ins in DP can't be heard on input in real tme when you are playing - they don't patch thru, right? Or I am doing something wrong - I just tried to use one of the guitar plugs and it would only work on playback, which to me is pretty useless. Am I doing something wrong here?
mac pro 2.66 2010 8 core w 48 gig 1600 ddr, Mac OS 10.6.8, DP 7.21, the usual plugs and stuff.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

You need to set the Input Monitoring Mode to "Monitor record-enabled tracks thru effects" (under Setup > Configure Audio System > Input Monitoring Mode).

As opposed to Direct Hardware Playthrough, you will incur processing delays (buffer plus plug-in's own), so you'll want to have the buffer set to 512 or 256 while tracking (though I've gotten quite good at tracking guitar even at high buffers - I guess I'm ready for arena shows!)
:D
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Has anybody played with Digidesign's Eleven Rack (hardware or software)?

I've got a Pod X3 Live, which I find to be useful, but not great - I am particularily interested in whether or not one could run PT LE (which comes with the hardware version of Eleven Rack) in DAE mode with DP.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

tonester wrote: +1 for Amplitube 2. Haven't checked out Pod Farm, but will.Does it come in AU, or do I need a VST wrapper?
Pod Farm is AU and works pretty well. I've also used it in RTAS / PT with similar results. Not perfect in my experience on either platform, but acceptable on both and totally workable.
tonester wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but great to see you on the forums,Erik. Big fan of Rocket Scientists here.
Thanks, Tony -- I appreciate it! :D

Cheers,
Erik
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, DP 7.02, UAD-2 Quad, all IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality synths and plug-ins, DrumTracker, ApTrigga, NI Komplete 5 and 6, ImpOSCar, TimewARP 2600, Waves Gold, Nomad Integral, 2X 828mk3, UltraLite mk3, 3X micro express. 1967 modular Moog synthesizer, Minimoog model Ds, Voyager, other Moog things, Alesis A6, lots of other hardware synths. Hammond organ and Leslie, Kawai grand piano. Mics and guitars. Braun 3071 coffee maker.
http://www.eriknorlander.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Kubi wrote:You need to set the Input Monitoring Mode to "Monitor record-enabled tracks thru effects" (under Setup > Configure Audio System > Input Monitoring Mode).

As opposed to Direct Hardware Playthrough, you will incur processing delays (buffer plus plug-in's own), so you'll want to have the buffer set to 512 or 256 while tracking (though I've gotten quite good at tracking guitar even at high buffers - I guess I'm ready for arena shows!)
:D
Yipes... I think this is why I sort of gave up on using guitar plug-ins because of the lag. I'm on a dual G5 and to lower my buffer down to something sort of playable it taxes my system. But even a little latency when playing guitar bugs the hell out of me. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!