Weirdness with recording pre-roll

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Irimi Nage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Weirdness with recording pre-roll

Post by Irimi Nage »

I have DP (current version on Monterey) set to record pre-roll. PunchGuard is set to "Always record pre-roll", and Retrospective Audio Record is set to one minute / 1gb.

But what I get is like in the screenshot - digital silence followed by maybe a half second of actual audio before the punch in. I do remember this working in the way I expected until sometime kind of recently. Am I doing something wrong? There should be either 30 sec or 60 sec recorded from the pre-roll, no?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 4.12.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 4.12.08 PM.png (2.46 MiB) Viewed 235 times
bayswater

Re: Weirdness with recording pre-roll

Post by bayswater »

I found this a bit confusing too. It doesn't seem to do what the settings say. But, can you drag the left border of the recorded soundbite to show audio recorded for the pre-roll time you set? I can do that and see 4 seconds of audio that was hidden.

What is still confusing is that I don't see the little bit of audio recorded just before the red record bar that show in your screenshot. All I see is a soundbite exactly the same size as the red bar until I drag the soundbite edges.

Edit:

Playing around with this some more, I find that the recorded pre-roll is always correct but the amount recorded post-roll doesn't use the punch out point. I have it set to 1 sec and it records to 1 second after I press the stop button, or 1 second after memory end point if I let it keep recording to the end of the loop.

That doesn't seem right, shouldn't it record for 1 second after the punch-in punch-out range?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

In the screenshot I had already pulled the left side of the soundbite back to find audio had not been recorded correctly in the pre roll. There should have been 30 seconds of audio in pre roll. It’s only about an 1/8th note of non-digital black here though.

The punch in here was at 89/1/000 but I’d already been playing for probably two bars. I think that pre roll audio is supposed to be recorded, according to how my prefs are set. But it only started recording audio at 88/4/240 or so. The dragged out soundbite is there but it’s mostly blank.

Are you saying this is not the same behavior you find?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Irimi Nage wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:31 am In the screenshot I had already pulled the left side of the soundbite back to find audio had not been recorded correctly in the pre roll. There should have been 30 seconds of audio in pre roll. It’s only about an 1/8th note of non-digital black here though.

The punch in here was at 89/1/000 but I’d already been playing for probably two bars. I think that pre roll audio is supposed to be recorded, according to how my prefs are set. But it only started recording audio at 88/4/240 or so. The dragged out soundbite is there but it’s mostly blank.

Are you saying this is not the same behavior you find?
It is not, but then I wasn’t trying to record that much in the pre-roll.. Will try later to see if there is maybe a limit to how long you can capture.

EDIT, had a chance to check it. Set pre-roll to 30 seconds and was able to drag the left edge of the recorded soundbite back 30 seconds and see recorded material. As earlier, the post roll setting was ignored, and the recording carried on as long as the transport was running.

So I guess I’m not seeing the same thing. I tested this on DP 11.3 but under macOS 10.13.6.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Here’s what I see.
Prepostroll.png
Prepostroll.png (20.96 KiB) Viewed 140 times
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tried this on my other Mac using Monterey/DP 11.3, and it works properly. Sorry, don't know why you're not getting the correct pre-roll -- I can't repeat the problem.
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Very interesting, thanks a bunch for checking it out! Your results are kind of promising really, it may be something I can repair on my system.