Using external hardware with controller and DP 11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ericshans
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using external hardware with controller and DP 11

Post by ericshans »

Hi all
Just got a Behringer Pro 800. My MIDI controller (Alesis v49 MKII) only has a USB out, no MIDI out. My current connection & the way I am trying this

Controller to USB port on MAC
Behringer to USB on MAC
Assigned MIDI instrument on project as PRO-800
Assigned Audio Input (3-4) as stereo cable connected to the UltraLite
Tried playing controller but no sound.
Checked that my local settings are transmitting on MIDI channel 1

Issue is no MIDI seems to be transmitting that I can see & no sound coming out either.

Am I doing this correctly? I'd rather do it via MIDI on my controller with an out, but just wanted to see if there was a way to do it like this.

Thanks
stubbsonic

Re: Using external hardware with controller and DP 11

Post by stubbsonic »

Sounds like you've done some of this routing, but your description isn't very detailed.

Sounds like the path to get MIDI into DP is via USB.

You should further configure this routing in Audio MIDI Setup. If the devices aren't shown in the MIDI window, first make sure any drivers are installed for each device. If they are "plug & play" then they might appear as generic devices-- the properties of which you can edit in Audio MIDI Setup.

NOTE: Often, DP will forget this configuration between sessions, and I find I have to reopen Audio MIDI Setup to re-establish these connections to get things working again.

Next, there is the MIDI path within DP, i.e. if you don't require multi-timbral/track/channel recording, then the input for each MIDI track can be assigned to "any" which allows data from the sending devices to all be "heard" and recorded. At this point, you should see MIDI being recorded into the track when in record. You probably want to have MIDI thru turned on. (Studio Menu/MIDI Patch Thru... which opens preferences and allows you set up some settings like auto-channelize, and patch-thru in background).

Next, you need to configure the path back out to your external devices. Set the DP MIDI tracks output to the device (as it appears in Audio MIDI Setup) on whichever channel(s) it is set to receive.

Completely separate is how audio from those external devices is routed to DP, then monitored, recorded, and played back. In your case, it sounds like you take audio outputs from some external module into the audio inputs of your Ultralite. Here again, you have the audio path into DP (via physical audio inputs). Within DP, you must assign those inputs to audio tracks and (if necessary) turn on input monitoring. You then assign the output of that track to the outputs that you are listening to.

I apologize if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but your post wasn't very detailed. Hope this is helpful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ericshans

Post by ericshans »

Thanks a lot, i'll give this a try. Sorry i was not more descriptive. I used to record MIDI / audio with more hardware eons ago so am familiar with that bit. Appreciate the detailed response.
ericshans

Post by ericshans »

Hi Jon,

Been trying to fix this today - the Pro-800 isn't even showing up in my Audio MIDI setup even though DP is recognizing it. Any It's just showing the my internal speakers, monitor, and MOTU interface. Any ideas?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Audio MIDI Setup has a separate window for MIDI.

From the Window menu choose "Show MIDI Studio"

From there you'll see any MIDI devices that Apple's Core MIDI services recognizes either from a combination of the driver being installed and the hardware being connected, or just the plug & play "handshake".

You'll also see little in/out triangles from the devices where you can drag virtual cables to connect ins & outs as they are physically connected.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

ericshans

Post by ericshans »

Thanks, it's been so long that I forgot where it was !
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You might also take a look at this thread; in particular, James Steele's post (3rd one down) which has a really helpful tip. It may or may not relate to your situation.

viewtopic.php?p=611376
Last edited by stubbsonic on Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:05 pm ...in particular, James Steel's post...
Ahem... <clears throat>... who? :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ericshans

Post by ericshans »

ha, thanks all. I actually figured it out. The dang MIDI driver was never installed due to security reasons so I had to do that and it recognized my interface and viola, I got it working!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ericshans wrote:ha, thanks all. I actually figured it out. The dang MIDI driver was never installed due to security reasons so I had to do that and it recognized my interface and viola, I got it working!
Good news!! Image

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:15 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:05 pm ...in particular, James Steel's post...
Ahem... <clears throat>... who? :lol:
:shock: Ack!!! I even KNEW that one!! Fixed.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hahaha.