Simple way to play .caf files (Apple Loops) inside DP11?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Simple way to play .caf files (Apple Loops) inside DP11?

Post by rosindabow »

I have not used either GarageBand or Logic Pro or Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro for a very long time. I thought it would be nice to see if I could get them to play inside DP11. Is there a simple method to play .caf files (Apple Loops) inside DP11?
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
stubbsonic

Re: Simple way to play .caf files (Apple Loops) inside DP11?

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm sure others will have more speedy ways to do this.

1. Open .caf file in QuickTime Player and in Window pulldown choose "Show Movie Inspector" which will give you the native sample rate. Weirdly, it refuses to show you the bit depth. (I have Rogue Amoeba's Fusion which DOES give the bit depth).

2. You can match that rate (and bit depth if you know it) in DP first. You can also put DP's Tempo mode to Conductor.

3. Then you drag the .caf onto a stereo track. If it doesn't drag in, try a mono track.

Manual:
4. Play the track to determine how long it is in beats & bars.

5. Tap tempo or adjust the tempo slider until the tempo matches the loop.

Automated:
4. Select the Soundbite, and from the Audio Menu/Audio Beats/Find Beats
From Audio Menu/Soundbite Tempo/Analyze Soundbite Tempo

5. From Audio Menu/Soundbite Tempo/Adjust Sequence to Soundbite Tempo

6. Select the bars that contain the loop. From Edit Menu, choose Repeat (?)

NOTE: DP has looping functionality that I don't use and am not familiar with, so there's DEFINITELY an easier path there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

rosindabow wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:27 pm I have not used either GarageBand or Logic Pro or Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro for a very long time. I thought it would be nice to see if I could get them to play inside DP11. Is there a simple method to play .caf files (Apple Loops) inside DP11?
Caf Files will automatically convert to WAV or AIFF if you have automatic conversions turned on in DP's Preferences. It will lock to tempo like an Apple Loop would if you have Stretch enabled in the Pitch and stretch preferences.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:16 pm It will lock to tempo like an Apple Loop would if you have Stretch enabled in the Pitch and stretch preferences.
I rarely use loops, but that's a cool tip. Will check it out!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

You can audition them quickly in the browser window.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31