My difficult (impossible) relationship with the M4

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sammysax
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My difficult (impossible) relationship with the M4

Post by sammysax »

Hello everyone, over a year ago I bought the board in question. Perhaps I have been particularly unlucky, but so far I have had only problems. Until June I was using it with a macbook with intel i7 processor, in July I upgraded to another MacBook with M2.
After several problems, mainly in registration, which were not solved by the Motu support, I got the card replaced by the dealer. It seemed to work, but then the problems resumed and now whatever registration I attempt I always get this result:

https://jmp.sh/s/BH9p1qEqn1jYnpnGL55C

Now I am honestly discouraged, also because the support keeps coming up with the same solutions (firmware, drivers, cables and so on) that I have tried but they do not work. I don't even feel like asking for a replacement again. But before I give up altogether I thought someone experienced listening to the kind of problem might tell me what it depends on, if I am doing something wrong or if the board is defective.
Thank you very much for your help.

Roberto
mikehalloran

Re: My difficult (impossible) relationship with the M4

Post by mikehalloran »

Hi, Roberto,

Doesn't sound good but we need a lot more info before we can even begin to guess.

mascOS and build, DAW, active plug-ins, sample rate and bit depth, audio source... a screen shot of your Audio MIDI.app setup won't hurt either.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sammysax

Re: My difficult (impossible) relationship with the M4

Post by sammysax »

Hello Mike.

OS 13.6
Logic pro 10.8.1
Ableton Live 11 (same behavior in recording than Logic)
No plug ins, or at most the reverb plugin of logic itself
On both Logic and Live sample rate 44100. I/O buffer size tested from 128 to 512, bit depth 24.
I assume you don't need the screenshot because I didn't add plugins. If not, I will take it.

Thank you