In praise of the MOTU 24Ao

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
muxlow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

In praise of the MOTU 24Ao

Post by muxlow »

My first interface circa 2000 was the ProTools Digi001. ProTools LE during the OS 9 -> OS X transition was a nightmare of bugs, crashes, and corrupted sessions, and I finally ditched it ~2005 for a MOTU Traverer Mk1 and Digital Performer. I ran that into the ground, and it eventually gave up ~3 years ago. I replaced it with a MOTU Track 16, and then expanded that with an Art Tube OptoPre 8 (an 8-channel ADAT mic/line pre). Last year, I added an analog mixer and a MOTU 24Ao to feed it. Rock solid.

Recently, I've been a bit concerned about the Track 16 falling out of support with future macOS updates, Apple silicon, etc. and started thinking about options. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 24Ai when I RTFM for the 24Ao and discovered that its ADAT ports are bi-directional (I'd assumed they were out only).

As of today, the Track 16 is out of my rig, the OptoPre is wired to the 24Ao and it's working amazingly well.

Thanks, MOTU :)
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer