Recommendations needed for another audio interface

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Recommendations needed for another audio interface

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:28 pm It has MIDI DIN but on dongles (grrrrrrr). The included ones are black but they look like these. Lots of interfaces are going to them. Really? No one can find room for proper sockets? (why I oughta...) :mumble:
AH! I missed those 3.5mm jacks at first glance. I was looking for the 5-pin DINs. Thanks for following up.

In their defense, that back panel is pretty crowded. I saw a couple reviews on SW saying that the audio taper on the mic gain knobs isn't very linear-- i.e. most of the gain bump is at the top of the knob's range. I've had that with other mic pre's before-- I wonder if that related to the impedance of the mic.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:39 am
mikehalloran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:28 pm It has MIDI DIN but on dongles (grrrrrrr). The included ones are black but they look like these. Lots of interfaces are going to them. Really? No one can find room for proper sockets? (why I oughta...) :mumble:
AH! I missed those 3.5mm jacks at first glance. I was looking for the 5-pin DINs. Thanks for following up.

In their defense, that back panel is pretty crowded. I saw a couple reviews on SW saying that the audio taper on the mic gain knobs isn't very linear-- i.e. most of the gain bump is at the top of the knob's range. I've had that with other mic pre's before-- I wonder if that related to the impedance of the mic.
I may have written many of those reviews. Were you not in Colorado, I'd let you borrow mine and take it for a spin—I've some planned downtime ahead.

Otherwise, Amazon has the next best thing: a used one at a nice price with the 30 day return period for Prime customers.
https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-AIR-192- ... ref=sr_1_1
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks so much for that extra info and the tip on the used one.

That OWC dock just showed up today. I'll try hooking up the RME Fireface 800 in the next day or two and see if the couple of issues are resolved.

I guess for the OP, the option of a used interface is reasonable, but might involve some elevated risk. E.g., caps needing replaced, etc.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

NealF

Post by NealF »

Wow!
Lots of info to go through.

Thanks, everyone for the help.

And now, weirdly enough, my MOTU Micro Lite no longer sends MIDI. What the heck? When it rains...
It's getting MIDI from my controller, the red LED lights. But it seem like it's no longer sending MIDI out the USB port.

Tried different cables. Tried going direct to my Mac Pro USB ports.

It's been so long since I set my system up that I'm forgetting certain things about it. Doesn't the Audio/MIDI app automatically show things that are connected? If so, the micro light isn't there.
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

Check the battery of the MOTU. I had that problem with my MIDI Express. Can’t hurt and you’ll have a new battery.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
NealF

Post by NealF »

Ah! Didn't even know it had a battery. Thanks.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

NealF wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:08 amIt's been so long since I set my system up that I'm forgetting certain things about it.
It's like home repairs: by the time you need to fix it again, you will have forgotten all you learned the first time around.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Yep.
Happens to me all the time.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FWIW, Musician's Friend is having a special sale (Stupid Deal of the Day) for the M-Audio AIR 192|6 Audio/MIDI i/o for $69 today --9/1/23 --only. (Though, I've seen this particular deal before a couple times). The full price is $169.

I decided to pick one up at this price. I've been wanting to put together a small rig using a MIDI controller and an iPad for synths, FX, etc. I'm curious to see how the M-Audio compares -- especially with latency-- to the M4.

NealF

Post by NealF »

That's a great price.

I'm still going back and forth with the M2 or M4 and Focusrite (which just came out with an updated version of Scarlet.)
Haven't seen reviews yet for the Focusrite.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Round Trip Latency without drivers should be the same. MOTU drivers add Loopback and slightly lower RTL on the M2/4. M-Audio does not have Mac drivers and only 2 In over USB.

Otherwise, here are the big differences Among the M2, M4 and M-Audio AIR 192|6.

The M2 has 2 CombiJacks for Mic/Instrument. It does not have the In/Out Blend/Balance control. Has a pair of RCA jacks parallel to the Monitor Outs.

The M4 has 4 inputs: 2 CombiJacks for Mic/Instrument plus 2 Line Ins.

The M-Audio AIR 192|6 has only 2 Inputs. Using the front channel Instrument In mutes the Mic/Instrument/Line CombiJack. Unlike the M2, it does have the In/Out Blend/Balance control.
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 10.48.15 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 10.48.15 AM.png (491.89 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
https://m-audio.com/assets/documents/AI ... e-v1.1.pdf

The M-Audio AIR 192|6 @ $69 over the M2 is a no-brainer, IMO, unless one needs Loopback. I have no use for one and I'm tempted.

As for the M4... So, Punk, do you need Line Inputs in addition to Mic/Instrument? Well, do you?

2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:08 am The M-Audio AIR 192|6 has only 2 Inputs. Using the front channel Instrument In mutes the Mic/Instrument/Line CombiJack.
Thanks for the additional info. Yea, I assumed those front panel inputs defeated the rear inputs-- hence only two level knobs.

I started the transaction,, then got cold feet for a minute, then went back again and went for it.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

NealF wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:10 am That's a great price.

I'm still going back and forth with the M2 or M4 and Focusrite (which just came out with an updated version of Scarlet.)
Haven't seen reviews yet for the Focusrite.
The Scarlett 4 takes an interesting approach. Instead of going to 32 but float like some have announced, Focusrite wants to automate everything through apps to avoid clipping. No I/O Mix/Blend control, just a button.

https://us.focusrite.com/scarlett/4th-generation

Some (all?) of the automation does not work above 96k sample rates. Despite the marketing claims, the specs in stand-alone mode are not better but the gain riding apps should keep you from clipping. Here's the new 4i4 User Guide.

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... pdf-en.pdf

Two of them are shipping. The 4i4 can be pre-ordered.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search ... tt+4th+Gen

My favorite 2 Out/4 In over USB is still the Mackie ProFX6v3. Same chip as the M2, Scarlet 3rd gen (possibly the 4th as well), M-Audio AIR 192|6 etc. has 4 In over USB without drivers (Loopback), built-in efx, the ability to send channels 1–2 over both outs to a stereo bus via a switch and other features but no MIDI. Huh?
https://www.sweetwater.com/c264--Analog ... lsrc=aw.ds
I started the transaction,, then got cold feet for a minute, then went back again and went for it.
Me, too. @ $69, I want to compare it to the M2 and the Mackie, both of which I have. Interested in its gain staging compared to the others.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

A quick-take on the M-Audio Air 192 6:

I just connected it to my iPad (Gen 6) via CCK. No dice. However, as soon as I connected a power supply via the CCK's lightning port, the MIDI & Audio out were recognized. I didn't try the inputs yet, but when I flicked on phantom power, it shut off. This "6" model doesn't have a separate power input, so we're at the mercy of what the iPad can handle. For comparison, I wasn't able to get any action on an iPad from the MOTU M4 without a powered hub.

For anyone considering the M-Audio Air 192 series used with an iPad, then the models that have separate power input might be a better choice.

Will report back with more details when I get around to testing it further or have a remote session.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:12 pm A quick-take on the M-Audio Air 192 6:

I just connected it to my iPad (Gen 6) via CCK. No dice. However, as soon as I connected a power supply via the CCK's lightning port, the MIDI & Audio out were recognized. I didn't try the inputs yet, but when I flicked on phantom power, it shut off. This "6" model doesn't have a separate power input, so we're at the mercy of what the iPad can handle. For comparison, I wasn't able to get any action on an iPad from the MOTU M4 without a powered hub.

For anyone considering the M-Audio Air 192 series used with an iPad, then the models that have separate power input might be a better choice.

Will report back with more details when I get around to testing it further or have a remote session.
Thanks for the initial report. Hadn't thought of hooking it up to my iPad. Did you get that UGREEN powered hub like I did? Too bad it's discontinued. I have a 15W and an 18W iPad charger as well so I'll try all combinations.

I'm looking at mine and may get the chance to try it on a session tomorrow. Then I'll compare it to my M2 and Mackie ProFx6v3, the only one of the three that uses a power brick. Although how they handle gain staging is my chief curiosity, there are a number of things to test. My M•Audio AIR 192|14 can handle a ribbon or an SM7B without requiring an external mic pre but the entire adjustment range is between 8.75 and 10 and there's not as much headroom as I'd like without one.