Bias Peak Pro 7 on mac Sierra -- How to make it work

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bias Peak Pro 7 on mac Sierra -- How to make it work

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:13 pm
sldghamr wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:45 pm "GS" refers to?
gearslutz or whatever it is called now.
Gearspace. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I responded to the PM, in case it doesn't go through (I have some from several years ago that are still stuck in limbo :-)).

Basic summary is that I was on the beta team for several releases and was sorry to see Peak fall by the wayside, but I also didn't have any inside info that would help keep it going past its natural life. I think someone posted a trick at one point but several of us had validation issues in spite of spending many hours following every instruction and doing command line actions, to no avail.

It's good to see that DSP-Quattro now has several editions or variations of audio editors. I never had a chance to re-learn the latest workflow so have FINALLY (as of this month) moved on to Steinberg Wavelab with its latest update. I'm still working crazy overtime and gigging (plus recording sessions) like mad, so my current mastering project is on hold for probably another week or two.

It appears that the workflow in Wavelab continues to evolve, and what little I saw of the current version from write-ups and my quick run-through after installing and authorizing, it seems a bit closer to BIAS Peak Pro than anything else out there at the moment. To be confirmed after more thorough work with the tool. Not sure if they still have a crossgrade.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Once upon a time, there was a 50% Crossgrade discount to DSP-Q for BIAS Peak owners. I remember scanning and emailing a scan of my Peak 4 registration to be eligible for it.

Although there’s a lot of overlap between DSP-Q and Twisted Wave, I only use DSQ-Q when mastering CDs anymore. I find that TW is faster with a cleaner interface for my day to day activities.

BIAS Sound Soap was eventually acquired by Antares (AutoTune etc.). They emailed me for years to convince me to upgrade. Having RX Advanced, I never saw the need and still don’t. No idea if the upgrade path is still available.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sldghamr

Post by sldghamr »

I remember the DSP cross-grade as well and followed all the dialog at the time Bias "powered down". At the time I didn't have a "professional" day-to-day need for it so the learning curve of Quattro was not a welcome option. That's why I was so excited when I found this thread and realized I could slip on my "old loafers" for just $50. For the few times I need it, it's so much less painful that shelling out $$$ or dealing with Audacity. No offense to Audacity - hey for free, what do you want? Your money back? I'll just have to muscle through the poor interfaces on the Bias plug-ins that *do* work in order to do the usual tasks for EQ and compression rather than the Apple ones, which while perhaps sonically inferior, for my use are fine because of the simplicity (and visibility) of the interfaces. Between age, only a hobbyist/enthusiast level of need and other legacy (read 32-bit and an aversion to Adobe's ransomware a.k.a. Lightroom Classic) requirements for my photography workflow, I'm just happy to have Peak back again.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is a significant learning curve with DSP if you use all it does. But for basic editing its pretty easy to get things done. There is often a discount available. Others like Twisted Wave seem overpriced to me. And Stefano has been so helpful over the years he deserves my support.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I got the crossgrade many years ago after keeping Bias Peak going for as long as possible - DSP Quattro is pretty good although a decade of using Bias Peak spoilt me somewhat. Nevertheless, it is an app that works well.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:There is a significant learning curve with DSP if you use all it does. But for basic editing its pretty easy to get things done. There is often a discount available. Others like Twisted Wave seem overpriced to me. And Stefano has been so helpful over the years he deserves my support.
Stefano is now selling a simpler version on his site that doesn’t include the CD related features.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:38 pm
bayswater wrote:There is a significant learning curve with DSP if you use all it does. But for basic editing its pretty easy to get things done. There is often a discount available. Others like Twisted Wave seem overpriced to me. And Stefano has been so helpful over the years he deserves my support.
Stefano is now selling a simpler version on his site that doesn’t include the CD related features.
https://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/ ... specs.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro