A quick plug for these useful cable ties/labels...

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

So I'm in the midst of an extensive home studio modernization and re-configuration which has necessitated me doing a lot of re-wiring of certain things. I used to use the ScotchCode cable label tape thats comes in a little holder and uses a special pen. You wrote on the little white "writable" area of the otherwise clear tape, then wrapped it around the cable. Well... I was all out of it and the local pro electronics supplier didn't have it and turns out it was ridiculously expensive on Amazon, so I got these instead and have been very happy!

https://a.co/d/1uSr0d1

cabletielabels.png
cabletielabels.png (124.22 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

They are inexpensive and work great! I don't recommend writing directly on the plastic tabs though. I use these small Avery 6737 labels which are the perfect size and stick right on the tabs of these cable ties.

https://a.co/d/g7X0Y5K

avery6737.png
avery6737.png (160.64 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

Anyway... just wanted to share that. Now back to crawling behind the mixer desk for me. Hopefully, I'll be done with this job soon and can get back to writing and recording music! 🙂
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: A quick plug for these useful cable ties/labels...

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for the tip!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I always thought that Scotchcode was overrated and overpriced. I used it on my cables, and the ink faded after a few years to where they were virtually unreadable.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:I always thought that Scotchcode was overrated and overpriced. I used it on my cables, and the ink faded after a few years to where they were virtually unreadable.
Agreed. WAY overpriced! I had a dispenser and roll left over from years ago. I ran out of the label tape for thinner cables. I decided to price it on Amazon and about had a heart attack! So I did some searching for alternatives and found these. Much less expensive and in some ways easier.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Man that is perfect! In my Amazon cart now…

I wish I had them 2 months ago. I went through a complete rebuild of the cabling in the studio. I ended up buying a label maker and wrapping the labels around the cables. The printing won’t fade, but I’m concerned about how long the labels will adhere.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Perfect timing, James. I've been cleaning up cables too with my MacStudio and transitioning to move the MAC pro out.
I don't regret dumping the hardware mixer decades ago :mrgreen:

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES