MTP: MIDI chaining

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Shackleford
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MTP: MIDI chaining

Post by Shackleford »

This is a different topic than my last two. I have split them up to avoid confusion.

Can you chain a pair of MIDI Timepieces (one Parallel, one USB) via MIDI without getting serious MIDI latency?

I figured I'd ask around before I lose a bunch of time on this issue, as I am having quite enough trouble dealing with the reason I need to try this (covered in other posts).
Steve Fogal
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MTP: MIDI chaining

Post by Steve Fogal »

Interesting question, I have bith a USB & Parallel MVP AV and was wondering the same thing. But to clarify, you don't mean to say you want to just 'network' them together via their own designated connections?

I'm going back and forth between the two thoughts...networking if I just need more MIDI I/O (within my rack), or just use 5-pin MIDI if I were to use my parallel unit just for my multiple drum trigger module set up (at my Yamaha ekit set-up/location).

But speaking of MIDI latency, I've been experimenting with sending MIDI from one computer directly to another via 5-pin MIDI connections (from sound card to sound card's MIDI I/O), where it's hosting VSTi's. I was getting a very slight MIDI latency when comparing the audio between the two computers. Now that I'm going through a Motu with the two computers (still experimenting) I haven't got as far as to comparing the latencies from the return audio as before.

I'm not the most experienced MIDI user, but I thought I read before that MIDI latency only counts on the lenth of the cable, not at the connection of MIDI devices..or something like that :?