Digital Performer not finding newly created Unisyn patch

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

Thomboy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Digital Performer not finding newly created Unisyn patch

Post by Thomboy »

hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help getting me started with Unisyn. I've been able to get all of the patches from my synths into Unisyn. Digital Performer isn't finding these patches however. If I pull up a patch list in the tracks window, I always get the factory default list. The Unisyn manual seems to suggest that DP will get the Unisyn ones automatically. Anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing a step.

Thanks again,

- Thom
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Performer not finding newly created Unisyn patch

Post by Shooshie »

I can't really help you on that one. I don't work that way; I don't use patch lists in DP. But Cherrypicker might be of some help. I really haven't used it, but some say it's good for fixing patch lists. I think there are some discussions about it, and links, if you look around in this Unisyn forum. Also, check the DP forums here and at OSX Audio. There have been many discussions about patch lists in DP. Just do a search on "patch list."

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
trombone17
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Digital Performer not finding newly created Unisyn patch

Post by trombone17 »

Sometimes DP will update, sometimes it will not. And it is not a bug in DP, but in Unisyn (specifically some of the profiles). Below I have detailed the path that DP looks for Unisyn patch lists. This requires going into the library folders, so if that makes you uncomfortable, then ignore the rest of this.

Unisyn puts the updated patch lists in this path: Users/account/Lobrary/Preferences/Unisyn/MIDINameDocuments/

In the conversion to OS X, some of the profiles publish this this directory (the Korg X5D, for example) and some do not (Alesis D4). Both of these devices worked absolutely fine under Unisyn 1.5 in OS 9, but the D4 has problems in OS X. It also did not help that the D4 did not ship with a .midnam from MOTU, and it had to be custom created. If any device does not put a file in this folder, there is no way that DP can update the patch lists, because CoreAudio implimentation uses xml format, a simple list (as needed in FreeMIDI) won't do. This is also very user centric: updating the patches in one account will not update them in another account (important to know if you have multiple user accounts). I have asked MOTU if they plan to release a profile developer kit so that I could fix some of these issues with devices at the place i used to teach and create new profiles for devices that were not natively supported (like the Roland XV-2020). I hope this helps.

jtp