Mac -> PC -> Mac DP project file repair?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
penna
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mac -> PC -> Mac DP project file repair?

Post by penna »

This is probably the dumbest thing anyone has admitted to doing on this forum so please bear with me, I come from a PC world and am learning about Macs as I go...

I had a bunch of tunes I did in DP3.11 on a tangerine iMac running OS9.1. Eventually I needed to get them off the harddrive and didn't have access to another Mac or any kind of Mac CD burner, so I moved them (the project folders, each containing the DP document file and it's Audio Files folder & files) to a USB drive, and from there to my PC harddrive. Now I have a G4 with OSX and DP4.52, with the original iMac drive installed as a 2nd drive, and I want to restore those tunes, so I copied the project folders from the PC to a USB Drive and back to the Mac, but obviously something happened to them in the Mac -> PC -> Mac conversion, because I can't get either DP to open them.

When I go File, Open, in both DP's the project doc files are greyed out.

When I doubleclick the file in OS9.1, it says "The document could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found. It could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

When I doubleclick the files in OSX, I get a box allowing me to choose an application to open it; I chose DP4.52 and it said something about there not being enough info, but I was able to click "Update"; it opened the DP application, but no project file opened, and when I tried File, Open again, the project doc files are still greyed out.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,
David Penna
wylie1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac -> PC -> Mac DP project file repair?

Post by wylie1 »

Did you compress the files before you moved them?
If not try that then decompress when they reach their destination
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
penna

Post by penna »

[quote="wylie1"]Did you compress the files before you moved them?[/quote]

No, I did nothing to them; I just dragged the entire "[song name] project" folders to the USB drive, then to the PC HDD, and then back.

BTW, I was checking the Properties of the DP project docs and other folder contents (RESOURCE.FRK folder, FINDER.DAT file, Audio Files, etc) in Windows, and some of them are marked "Raed Only", "Archive" and / or "Hidden". I never changed any Properties myself, but I wonder if they got changed during all the copying / moving, and that is causing a problem? I doubt it, though.
conleycd

Post by conleycd »

I had a similar problem somewhat like yours. Because of the way that DP files are (I believe) especially SDII format - if you drag them to a PC disc they get messed up. You should drag them to a OS X based format. Do you still have them to do that?

CC
Mac Pro 5 (Early 2009) - 6 - Core, 32 gig RAM, Radeon RX 580. Mojave 10.14.6. DP 10.1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

conleycd wrote:...Because of the way that DP files are (I believe) especially SDII format... CC
That was the very first reason why I switched to *.wav* as default file format in DP.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
WSVP

Post by WSVP »

conleycd, is correct... SDII files "I Believe" have a resource fork in the file. Putting them on a Windows formatted hard drive strips the resource fork. If you compress them first it should solve the problem.
digididi

Post by digididi »

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... rmer-files

and you can try "SD2 Fixer" to rescue your SD2 files.

I wish you success!
Didi
MacPro Quad 2.66-X.6.8 16GB RAM,
DP8.01 (64-bit), Opcode SVP, FCP2, PT9HD, LPro9.15,
Drums, Guitars, Synths, SSL, Adam, Lexicon, Eventide
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Also take a look at this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=35769

I think the poster of that thread essentially had the same problem and fixed it, although how he got there was a little different.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
penna

Post by penna »

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Actually, I wasn't referring to the audio files; I didn't even get to check if those were still intact; I was referring to the basic DP project document file, which I assume contains the locations of the audio files, and most importantly, all of my mix & automation settings... without which, the audio files alone are pretty useless!