SysEx for JV1010 Clock Sync

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rthorderson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

SysEx for JV1010 Clock Sync

Post by rthorderson »

I was not able to find an answer for this anywhere...Google...this board...other boards. But I stumbled on the answer FINALLY.

Problem:

I have a Roland JV1010 that I just love. But many of the patches are tempo based with no way to adjust the tempo through the interface.

My Solution:

This solution assumes that you are using the basic Patch Mode (one sound at a time)...

1) In the DP Preferences, go to the "Play And Record" section and select "Transmit Sync", select a MIDI Port in the "Transmit beat clocks via port(s):" parameter, and make sure "Generate MIDI Beat Clocks" is selected.

2) On a MIDI track that controls your JV1010, insert these two SysEx Strings (a beat apart or so).

F0 41 10 6A 12 00 00 00 0C 01 73 F7
F0 41 10 6A 12 03 00 00 48 01 34 F7

The first string tells the JV1010 System to use MIDI Clock instead of the Internal Clock, then the second string tells the Patch Mode to look System Clock setting instead of the Patch Clock setting. I am guess the second string is what trips up everyone who has tried to do this. You skip it, and no worky.

Now when you hit DP Play, a new beat clock is sent out and the JV1010 tempo based patches not only start playing at the right Tempo, they are Sync'ed to the Beats Correctly too (i.e. you play the patch on beat one, and the pulsing is also on beat one).

Notes:

1) It has been a while since I used MIDI Beats...MTC would have been nicer, but I couldn't get that to work. I am not sure how much MIDI bandwidth MIDI Beats takes. It should only be a 24 bytes(ticks) per quarter note...so that shouldn't affect timing of other MIDI streams too much, but I plan on TURNING IT OFF when I don't need it.

2) Other Roland devices may have a similar setting...the trick is finding the right parameters and the calculating the all elusive CheckSum byte...I made a spreadsheet to do that now if anyone wants to play with it. If you have a device and need some help with this, let me know.

Hopefully others will find this tip/help useful!
Randy Thorderson
www.randythorderson.com

Ξ DP8.0 Ξ OS X 10.8.4 64-bit on SSD Ξ MacPro3.1 8-core 2.26GHz Ξ 18GB Ram Ξ 2408mkII w/ 424e Ξ
Ξ NI: Kontakt 5.0, Scarbee (MM, Jay, Pre), AK Piano, B4 II Ξ RealGuitar 3.0 Ξ ModArt Pianoteq Studio 4 Ξ
Ξ Garritan GPO4 & JABB3 Ξ Vir2 Mojo 1.2.1 Ξ Arturia V-Collection, Analog Factory, Analog Lab Ξ MX4 2.2 Ξ
Ξ MachFive3 Ξ Superior Drummer 2 Ξ SSD 3.5 Ξ NomadFactory ProdPack II Ξ Sonalksis Multi-Limit Ξ VEP5 Ξ
Arjan
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: SysEx for JV1010 Clock Sync

Post by Arjan »

To add to this...

For those just as obsolete as their gear, after endless searches and trials, I found a second solution, "simply" using SoundDiver (2.0, for JV/XP, for Windows XP - I welcome anyone out there who has a decent Mac version of this software) where in the Patch edit page you should check "MIDI" (instead of "PATCH") in the box called [clksrc], and doing the same (check "MIDI" instead of "INT") in the [clock source] box of the window called "Init Setup" (whatever that means). I am not sure if both are required, but checking this for two patches (Tremendously, and Pulsatronic) it worked, following the tempo setting in Logic Pro 9.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

I am staring at my JV-1010 which, frankly, hasn't been used in a long time. Maybe time to fire it up again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mikehalloran wrote:I am staring at my JV-1010 which, frankly, hasn't been used in a long time. Maybe time to fire it up again.
Yes - ditto - great potential and sounds but so little used because of less than user friendly setup. And then I got Reason..... but the JV-1010 stares at me and makes me feel guilty.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.